When we attached the sides we used counter-sunk holes so we could fill them with Wood Filler and paint over them so you can't tell they are even there.
To attach it at the bottom, and to attach the shevles to the sides, we used Pocket Holes .
We also counter-sunk the screws on the tops.
We used a 2x4 for the base.
For the base on the front and back we just cut the 2x4 up the center. This allows you to just use one 2x4.
We hung the storage doors with these narrow style hinges.
Then we added the center door. Which was hung with these euro style hinges.
We tipped the console over on it's back side to easily put on the false faces.
There is a 3/4" gap between all the faces so we cut a couple pieces of scrap wood to 3/4" and used them as guides for spacing the false faces.
We could have glued the faces on but we opted to use a small nail gun, and then just use Wood Filler on the holes. It was faster and easier to get them right where we wanted them.
For the top we cut all of our pine boards to the right length and drilled Pocket Holes in them. Then we layed them out on the ground and squared them up. One of us held the Square and knelt on top of the boards to keep them square while the other put the screws in.
I am pretty good at getting paint where it shouldn't be. I was really nervous I would get paint on the top or drip stain on the bottom. So before we put the top on I stained it, and painted the rest of stand white. I used one coat of primer and two coats of antique white (sanding after every coat).
Because we were screwing the top on from underneath, we left the back off so that we could get screws in to the top from the back side as well as the front.
I bought these unfinished knobs so I could stain them to match the top.