FOLLOW

You'll love my NEW WEBSITE! Visit it HERE for all my new tutorials and to shop my items!

Monday, April 15, 2013

How To Make A Pallet Clock

This has been on the "TO DO LIST in my head" for quite sometime now!  I am so excited to have finally finished it!

Pin It

When I made the potting table out of pallets for my mother-in-law, I used an old pallet and it took some effort to take apart, but not near as much effort as these ones.  After I pulled off the first couple boards, I decided that it would be fine if I lost an inch or a little more off each end.  So I got out the circular saw and just cut them off at the end to save 2/3 of the nails I had to pull out.

It was still A LOT of effort but I had a good helper ;)

After I cut the sides off.  I just wiggled them back and forth as much as I could to loosen them, and then I used the pry bar to take them off.

After I got all of my boards pulled off, I laid them all next to each other.  I used two pallets and they were a little different so I put them every other one so that the similar boards were not right next to each other.  Then I found my center and marked it with an "x".

I put a pin in my "x", tied a piece of yarn to it and a pencil on the other end. I used that to draw my circle.

Then my willing assistant (aka my husband who gets dragged into all my projects like it or not) helped me cut each board with the scroll saw.  He has much more steady hands then me.

We laid out all the boards and used a 1x2 board to put them together.

I just used a finish nailer to put the 1x2 on.

I drilled the hole for the clock at the "x" I had already marked in thr center.

The clock that I had was for a 1/4" face and my pallet boards were 3/4" thick.  

For my birthday my husband gave me a router.  You know you are truly "2 Crafty 4 Your Skirt"  when you are excited if your husband gives you tools for your birthday!  This was the first time we got to use it! And it worked GREAT!

I traced my clock mechanism on the back, and then we cut it down to the depth we needed. We did it on a test piece of wood first to make sure we had it set at the right depth. We used a plunge bit for this.

I used the sander to sand down the face and the edges.

I spray painted it with Rustoleum Heirloom White.  I wanted the boards to kind of show through so I didn't prime it.  And it took two coats to get the color I wanted.


I cut my stencils out with the Cricut like I have lately for my signs.

I used acrylic paint. I started with the 3,6,9, and 12.

I was worried that the numbers in-between wouldn't fit so I traced my stencils onto paper to see.  They fit but were very tight.  I emailed my crafty sister-in-law to get her opinion.  Should I squish the numbers in? Do them in a smaller font? Or just do dots for them?

She said dots. So that's what I did! The next one I make I am just going to use smaller numbers all they way around, but I kind of like it like this too.  I used an "i" in one of my other signs, so I just used the dot from that stencil.

Pin It

Click here for other pallet projects!


28 comments:

  1. Fabulous job and a very creative use of an old pallet. Thanks for sharing and for the detailed tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How inspired! I love making something fab out of free stuff! I think your clock takes the prize! Great look in your home.

    Peace,
    Linda at The French Hens Nest

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece for big impact! Love your little helper, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun! I love these clocks! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really neat. It looks great! Following you on Pinterest now. If you're interested, I'd love for you to link it up to my Tutorial Tuesday Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the old feel it has. Making one of these is on my possible to-do list, too, although I doubt I will actually get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the clock! Excellant post, you did a nice job...I love BIG clocks and have serveral myself....your newest follower....would love to have you stop by at pinecreekstyle.blogspot.com
    Have a stylish day....NeeCee

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love,love this. What a great idea and the letters look amazing too. Great job. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me Tuesday party that is ongoing. - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/04/160th-inspire-me-tuesday.html

    Love this idea and definitely inspiring. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Definitely on my list of things to make!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial. Love the finished project, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so great!!! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute clock! It's so unique and charming! Thanks for linking up at Whatever Goes Wednesday. We'll be highlighting your idea at Someday Crafts tomorrow, so come check it it out if you have a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awesome! What a fantastic huge DIY piece of artwork! Thanks for linking it up at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this project, so creative! We'd love for you to share it with our link party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how I love your clock...wanted to feature it at my party...but I don't see a link back to my party:(

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog tonight! Come stop by and grab a featured button :) http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2013/04/your-whims-wednesday-108-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great clock. Looks like it didn't cost you much either but has a great big impact. I don't think you mentioned where you purchased the clock parts. Could you please list that?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I featured you today! Thanks so much for linking up on Made in a Day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome! Love this! Taking orders?

    I would love for you to share this and link up to my TGIF Link Party! Who knows, you just might be featured next week!

    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-peek-into-my-paradise-tgif-link-party.html

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This and many of my other items can be custom ordered through my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/2Crafty4MySkirt

      I linked up. Thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  21. I love this! I did some pallet art and found like you did that taking a saw to them was the easiest way.

    Thanks for sharing,
    JUlie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loving this clock, the rusticity is perfect. Like that you painted it white with wood showing thru. I love your blog, you are constantly inspiring hubs and I. The other pallet project we love is the gift you made for your mil's b/d.
    We're just really starting out but I thought it might be better if we stuck to small to medium sized projects to see what people like. We've been making some trugs, tool boxes in different shapes, ideas. We plan to make some end tables, table like the plant table, things like that. Any suggestions or advice? Then what do we charge for these? Want/need to make some money. We have lots of pallets stored up and got some other wood from a friend so we're ready to go.
    I'd so appreciate if you could send me some info about how you do things? We'll most likely be selling things over the internet as we can't afford yet to pay for place to sell. There is craft place in Grand Junction that charges $100 a month which is way over what we can afford now. We're on SS so our "disposable" cash is pretty much null and void, lol. Please reply at: FurryKidZPaperworx@gmail. com Think we're going to rename as FurryKidzKreations. Hope to hear from you. Your blog inspires us very much. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so flattered. I do pretty much all of my business through facebook. You can view my Items for Sales album on my facebook page to get an idea of what I charge for things. I have found that for the most part boutiques/craft fairs or consignments stores are just not worth what you have to pay to be involved. Let me know if you have any more questions! HUGS!

      Delete
  23. My husband and I love this clock. We want to make one, But are having a hard time finding clock hands. Can you recommend a place to look? We are in California.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine from Hobby Lobby. Hopefully you have one of those close to you. I don't think they sell them on their website. Thanks for reading!

      Delete

I love to hear what you think of my projects. Thank you so much for leaving comments!