FOLLOW

You'll love my NEW WEBSITE! Visit it HERE for all my new tutorials and to shop my items!

Monday, August 12, 2013

DIY Knock-off Bookends Tutorial

This past weekend my little sister called me up and said she wanted to come over and hang with me on Saturday, maybe hit up some yard sales.  We found some AWESOME things.  One of the things we found were unfinished wood crafts for 10 cents each!  I picked up a few stars even though I didn't have anything in mind for them.

My sister is moving to a new house next week and was looking for items to decorate it and furniture pieces for storage.  When we got home she was telling me some of her decorating plans.  She showed my a picture of these Star Bookends on her phone





I told her "We could make you some similar to that out of wood....Hey we could use some of the stars I got today.  Let's go make some!"

I had a bunch of scrap pieces of 2x6's.  I cut them to the dimensions we wanted them.

I put wood glue on the adjoining seam.

And then attached them with a nail gun.

I put wood glue on the points of the star, and then attached it with a brad nailer.

I couldn't think of a good way besides this.  I angled the nail just about as straight as I could.  Since a little poked out.  I did them all from them same side, so that could be the back.  I made sure to do them on the opposite side of the other one.

Then I wiped off any extra glue.
And it was done! Ready for paint!


I painted them with the same Hesston Equipment paint that I used on my Front Entry Gate.

All done!  Cost me 20 cents.  And some scraps and paint I already had sitting around.  And they probably took me 20 minutes to make! 

I LOVE  a good Knock-off! 


Never miss a new post!

7 comments:

  1. Oh how I also love a good knock off - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely, you did such a great job with them!!! They turned out great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good knock off too! This is a great one...the price is so right! Nice job! Happy to be a new follower via GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love making things yourself. Great job making your knock off bookends. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party that is going on right now.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent idea, this really caught my eye….I wanted to invite you to share this at my linky party going on now. Add as many projects as you like. Hope to see you there…

    Christina at
    SWEET HAUTE
    http://sweethaute.blogspot.com/
    Thursday SWEET HAUTE Share Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today!
    --Mandy, SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    These are great and the tutorial seems very easy to follow!
    I was thinking, rather than putting the nails in on an angle, put them in from the back and the bottom. Use a nail set and some spackle to hide them and then paint. Little extra work but then the nails don't show at all.
    This tutorial came at a good time - my books are multiplying rapidly and I have run out of bookends. Thanks for solving my problem for me!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think of my projects. Thank you so much for leaving comments!